Master Plan Update!
By John Bodine
We continue to move forward with the Grace Renovation Master Plan with JNKA Architects. We are now focused on “Design Development," the second step of the renovation process. Meetings over the next three months will get us to the point of Preparing Construction Documents, then Bidding and Permitting, and finally, Construction. We’re looking ahead to the 2018 summer calendar when we hope to begin construction work. To best oversee this work process, we will transfer responsibility from the Grace Projects Team, which has fulfilled its charter of project identification and prioritization and commission a Building Committee to complete the remaining Master Plan steps.
Design Development will provide greater detail and deeper levels of specification for lighting, ceilings, floor covering, and layout. This is critical for refining cost estimates for the work to be done and understanding budget implications. We anticipate this will take about two months. For budget and funding considerations we’ll be looking at Master Plan project components as well as Maintenance and Operational items outside of the scope of the Master Plan.
As a reminder, we are now focused on Master Plan Phase 1 implementation that includes:
• Sprinkler Installation – prerequisite for any structural work at Grace
• Improve Indoor and Outdoor Signage
• Children’s Center and Education Wing refurbishing
• Renovate corridors in the UL & LL Education Wing
• Handicap / Family Restroom installation (UL & LL)
• Partial expansion of the Narthex (Sanctuary to Room 254)
• Upgrade all Plumbing Fixtures
• Kitchen Appliance renewal
Other capital maintenance & operational projects for budget consideration include:
• Grace Roof replacement – residual from the 2013 capital campaign
• Sanctuary LED lighting controls – residual from the 2013 capital campaign
• HVAC Chiller/Compressor replacement (outside of Room 254)
• Dehumidification of LL Music Rooms
• Parsonage roof replacement
• Awning for Door #4
• Sanctuary Sound System upgrade
• Sanctuary Audio/Visual enhancements
We will work to optimize use of Grace expertise and resources to get the best value for our dollars, as we have in the past. As confident cost estimates shape up, we’ll determine where we stand on funding and whether or not a capital campaign will be required. At the same, time we’ll be working to consider how construction work can fit into the summer time frame without conflicting with summer programs.