6-week Study: "Signs and Wonders: A Beginner's Guide to the Miracles of Jesus"
Sunday, August 7, 2022 - Sunday, September 11, 2022
Beginning Sunday, August 7, the Forum Sunday School Class will begin a 6-week study on Amy-Jill Levine's book, Signs and Wonders: A Beginner's Guide to the Miracles of Jesus.
In this study Amy-Jill Levine explores selected miracles of Jesus in historical and theological context. For each miracle, she discusses not only how past witnesses would have understood the events, but also how today’s readers can draw meaning from Jesus’s words and actions.
Chapter topics include:
- Giving sight to the blind: Metaphors of understanding (Mark 8, John 9)
- “Take up your pallet and walk” (the paralyzed man): On the role of caregivers
- A bleeding woman and a dead girl: The importance of women’s bodies
- Walking on water and stilling the storm: Ecological readings of the Gospels
- The feeding of the 5,000 (or more): The centrality of bread
- The raising of Lazarus: Taking death seriously
The book can be obtained from either Cokesbury or Amazon. For more information, please contact Sandy Bray at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 630 420 0923.